Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Breakfast Sausage Casserole

I LOVE this breakfast casserole... it has been the traditional breakfast for Christmas in our house.  Yum.   I also love that its assembled the night before and I just pop it in the oven in the morning.

Ingredients:
2 pounds of breakfast sausage (I like to use 1# of regular, and one hot for a little kick)
1 package of herb seasoned croutons
2 c shredded sharp cheddar
2 c shredded pepper jack (which I can't always find shredded so I pick what appeals to me!)
1/4 minced onion
8 eggs, beaten
2 c half & half
1.5 c milk (I use almond and its fine)
Salt & pepper to taste
Green & red pepper to garnish if you like (grab a bag of frozen to make it easy)

Cook, crumble and drain sausage.
While you're waiting, spray a 9x13 pan and spread the croutons.
Spread cheeses over croutons.  Sprinkle sausage and onion over cheese.

In a large bowl beat eggs, milk, half & half, and salt & pepper.  Pour evenly over the sausage.
Sprinkle with peppers if you like them!  Refrigerate for at least 8 hours.

In the morning, pre-heat oven to 350.   Bake for 46-60 minutes and let stand for 20 minutes after baking.  I have found this needs closer to 60 minutes to be cooked in the center but it depends on the oven.

P.S. You can find gluten free croutons and sausage!

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment