Friday, February 8, 2013

Chicken Tortilla Soup~

I'm just now realizing how easy soup can be, especially when made using a slow cooker.  I love chicken tortilla soup and this is a healthy version I found when searching online.  It calls for tortilla strips you can buy but I just used crushed tortilla chips since I had them on hand.    Next time I make this I will take a better photo!



You can add a lot more cheese- a layer across the top, I was just being healthy
You'll need:
1lb chicken breast
14oz can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
14oz can diced tomatoes, drained
5c chicken stock (I use gluten free)
3/4c onion, chopped
3/4c green pepper, chopped
1 Serrano pepper, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
1 tsp ground pepper, divided
Shredded cheese (try Monterrey Jack or Cheddar)
Tortilla strips for garnish
I love slow cooking when it involves just tossing a bunch of stuff in a pot without a lot of effort, that's my kind of cooking!  Do all your veggie chopping up front so its finished. Then put the first 9 ingredients into the the slow cooker  (everything through the chili powder!)
Cook on high for 4 hours, low for 8.  Take chicken breasts out and shred them.   This is very easy using 2 forks, it just falls apart.   I just recently learned that I could use a stand mixer with paddle attachment and it shreds it very nicely..  but I don't want the extra dishes.   Season your chicken with salt & pepper and put it back into the slow cooker, then mix everything. I turned off the slow cooker and let it sit another half hour to let the chicken really soak up the flavors of the soup.      
When ready to serve- cover with a nice bunch of cheese and tortilla strips/chips, and let it melt. 
I was able to reheat this over a period of several days... I packaged it into portions that I was able to take to work for lunch!  Healthy, gluten free, economical, easy.    

I adjusted the recipe I found on this site just slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment