Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Baked Oatmeal Muffins - Perfect Breakfast

I love breakfast on the go.  I'm not a morning person, so if I don't have breakfast on the go, I wouldn't eat.   This recipe was passed on to me from a work friend.   It was intended to be made in a 9x13 pan.  When I did that, I cut squares, and individually wrapped and froze them.   It can be eaten cold but I prefer about 15-20 seconds in the microwave.

I decided using muffin pans was easier, it gave me pre-made portions.   Doing this, you'll have plenty of oatmeal 'muffins' to freeze.   They can stay in the fridge up to a week, in my opinion, again just pop them in the microwave!  I have a healthier version of this somewhere - I'll find it and post when I do!

You'll need: 
1 c. oil
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown Sugar
4 eggs, beaten
6 c. oatmeal ( I use gluten free rolled oats)
3/4 c. gluten free flour
2 tsp. baking powder (make sure to use gluten free if that's your fancy)
1 tsp. salt
2 c. milk  (I use almond milk)
2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. raisins
Cinnamon - to taste
*optional - walnuts
*optional - fresh fruit like apple slices

Heat your oven to 350.   Grease your muffin tins or use paper liners.  
Combine oil, sugars and eggs.
Add oatmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, milk and vanilla
Fold in raisins, and or fruit if you'd like.

Fill muffin cups.  Sprinkle with walnuts if you choose.  Sprinkle with a dash of cinnamon.  At this point, I felt some of them looked a little dry.   I put a dash of milk on top, until I was satisfied.  Bake approximately 25-30 minutes - keep an eye on them.    As long as they are firm in the center, they should be ready!    

The original recipe called for serving them with brown sugar and cinnamon.   That's SO sweet, but try it if you'd like.   Maple syrup might be nice too, but I like them as they are.   15-20 seconds in the microwave, and I'm out the door.    They hold form enough to eat them in the car without a big mess.

Enjoy!

1 comment: