Saturday, March 23, 2013

Peppermint Ice Cream, Yes Please!

When I realized how simple making homemade ice cream can be, I had to give it a try.  I'm not sure what made me crave peppermint flavor for the first time ever, but I'm glad I did, and now have delicious ice cream that is free from additives and preservatives!   Enjoy this simple recipe if you have an ice cream maker at home.  If you're interested in buying an ice cream maker, this one is perfect. 



Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2  cups whole milk
  • 1 1/2  cups half and half
  • 2 cups whipping cream
  • 1 1/4  cups sugar
  • 1 tbsp vanilla
  • 1 1/2  tsp peppermint extract
  • 1/4  tsp salt
  • 1 cup crushed peppermint candy
Mix together milks.  Add in sugar, salt, vanilla and peppermint.  Stir, stir, stir until sugar is dissolved.  Pour into the ice cream maker and add crushed candies.    I would estimate about 30 minutes to process this recipe once in the machine.   It froze well and scooped nicely throughout the rest of the week!

(Unfortunately I haven't found a dairy free ice cream recipe with the correct consistency/taste yet.  For this recipe, I had to be cow's milk for the first time in two years, which made me a little sad... not to mention, my body doesn't appreciate.  If you have a dairy free recipe that's yummy, please share! )

Thanks to yourhomebasedmom.com for this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment