Wednesday, November 14, 2012

~Pumpkin Pie Crunch Bars~

Here I am, back with fall pumpkin cravings.   I want to try about 25 more fall recipes but I am running out of time :-).    I found this recipe on Pinterest (of course) and would only make a couple of small tweaks.   It is very easy, one of my current requirements for baking or cooking.   This is a great bar recipe to take to a party, so easy to transport... or just keep all to yourself and eat an excessive amount of them.

Pumpkin Pie Crunch Bars
You'll need:

  • box of gluten free yellow cake mix
  • 1- 15 oz can of pumpkin puree
  • 1- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of stevia or if you're not picky, plain old sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1-2 cups of chopped pecans (they make for a nice crunchy top)
  • 1 cup of butter, melted  (yikes!) Try coconut oil or ghee.

Preheat your oven to 350. 
Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan.   
Mix your pumpkin, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. 
Pour into your pan.
Sprinkle dry cake mix across the top of the pumpkin mixture. 
Spread your pecans over the top.  Pour that butta' all across the top. 
Bake.  

The original recipe said to bake for 50-55 minutes.   I'm not sure if its because I used a ceramic thicker 9x13 pan, but mine took significantly longer.    At 55 minutes, it was still like jello in the center.    
I would plan for 50-55 minutes but - you may run into the same problem.     Just bake until the center firms and doesn't wiggle.       

Let them cool for a bit, but then cut before storing.   The buttery pecan 'crunch' top makes them hard to cut once they're chilled... The force to cut through the top will squish  the bottom pie-like texture.  Store in the fridge, they are good chilled, like pumpkin pie.

In the end, I think I could have baked mine a little longer, but it still was pretty yummy.   The middle of mine had that slightly undercooked dough look, but I find undercooked cookies, cake and brownies quite delicious so it didn't bother me.  

Enjoy!


Oh yes, almost forgot to mention this recipe is a slightly altered version of the one found on this blog.  She has some pretty good looking food over there!


No comments:

Post a Comment